Motorcycle accidents are some of the worst crashes seen on the roads throughout Gainesville and across Florida. Motorcyclists do not have a lot of protection when they are out on their bikes. Even when they are wearing helmets, it is usually not enough to prevent serious injuries in a crash.
To make matters worse, many individuals and insurance companies are biased against bikers, believing in stereotypes rather than facts. The truth is that many motorcycle accidents are actually caused by other negligent drivers, who do not watch out for bikers.
At Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano, P.A., we have investigated countless motorcycle crashes and represented many injured motorcyclists and their families. Please contact our motorcycle accident lawyer in Gainesville, FL for a free consultation on your motorcycle accident claim.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Crashes?
Most motorcycle accidents are caused by other drivers’ negligence. Drivers simply do not look out for bikers the same way they do other motorists. As a result, they end up causing serious and life-threatening motorcycle crashes.
There are many different types of driver negligence, including:
- Unsafe lane changes: On multi-lane interstates and highways such as I-75, drivers often make unsafe lane changes. This typically happens when drivers move into a lane without ensuring the path is clear and that it is safe to do so.
- Speeding: Speed does not only cause motorcycle accidents, it also increases the severity of them. When drivers speed, they may not see motorcyclists in time to stop, causing a devastating crash.
- Failure to yield: No one should ever follow a vehicle in front of them too closely. This is known as tailgating, and it is a very dangerous practice. When vehicles follow another too closely, they do not have enough time to stop, particularly if the vehicle in front of them needs to stop suddenly. Drivers must give bikers an adequate amount of room, just as they would any other vehicle. Unfortunately, drivers do not always do this.
- Driving under the influence: When drivers operate their vehicles under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the decision often ends in disaster. This leads to many motorcycle accidents because drivers do not see bikers, they have problems with perception that may cause them to follow a biker too closely, and they may make unsafe lane changes. Driving under the influence leads to many of the other common causes of crashes involving a motorcycle.
- Distracted driving: It is illegal to text while driving in Florida, but that does not mean that all drivers abide by the law. When drivers are distracted, they take their attention off the road and do not see bikers in time to avoid a crash.
- Lane splitting: Lane splitting occurs when a motorcyclist rides his or her bike between two lanes of traffic. This is usually done in slower traffic. The practice is dangerous and also against the law in Florida. However, there are also instances where drivers try to share a lane with a motorcyclist. This is also dangerous and can lead to devastating crashes.
- Left-turn accidents: These crashes are some of the most common types of motorcycle accidents. They occur when a driver is making a left turn at an intersection, and a biker is heading straight through. The driver does not see the biker and makes the turn just as the biker travels through the intersection. The driver then crashes into the side of the bike.
- Blind spots: Motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles, and because of this, they can easily fit into a driver’s blind spot. Drivers must always properly check their blind spots when changing lanes to ensure that the way is clear. When drivers fail to do this, they can easily collide with a biker and cause a crash.
- Motorcycle defects: Drivers are not the only negligent parties that can cause a motorcycle accident. Manufacturers can, as well. Manufacturers have a duty to ensure their products are safe for people to use. When they fail to do this and those products are defective, they can cause a serious accident. This is especially true when the product is a motorcycle part. If the brakes are defective, bikers cannot stop properly. If the tires are defective, it could cause a blowout, which could force the biker to lose control of the motorcycle.
These are just a few types of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents in Gainesville, FL. Unfortunately, any time motorists are negligent on the road, their behavior can have serious consequences for motorcyclists.
How Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help You
After a motorcycle accident in Gainesville, you will likely be suffering from serious injuries that require extensive medical treatment. This is a stressful time, and the insurance company, whether your own or the other driver’s, may be trying to contact you. You should speak to our attorneys as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected.
After reviewing your case in a free consultation, we will go over your legal rights and discuss how we will move forward. We will need to launch an investigation into your crash as soon as possible to gather all the evidence and build a case against the at-fault driver.
We will also work to accurately evaluate the amount of damages you are entitled to receive. These damages can include your medical expenses, lost income, future expenses, payment for pain and suffering, and more.
Throughout the claims process, our attorneys will communicate with the insurance companies for you. This buffer will serve as protection for you, as insurance companies often try to take the words of accident victims out of context. They do this to try to avoid paying out on a large settlement.
Most importantly, our attorneys will act as your advocate throughout the entire process and fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Gainesville Today
It is important that motorcycle accident victims understand that they have rights. If a negligent driver caused your crash and left you with serious injuries, you may be entitled to compensation.
Our Gainesville motorcycle accident lawyers at Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano, P.A., can help you demand it. We have the skill and experience needed to pursue the maximum payment you deserve while you focus on your recovery. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.