What to do when you need a visit to the hospital
Hospital experiences can be frightening and hectic. Even for the calmest patients, a checklist can reduce the often high levels of stress and confusion that come along with being at a hospital. We believe this hospitalization checklist will ensure a less stressful and more comfortable experience for your hospital visit.
- Ask your doctor about why you are hospitalized and what will happen.
- If you are planning to have a surgical procedure done, ask your surgeon about the process, anesthesia, recovery time, expected outcome and any other concerns you may have.
- Ask a friend or family member to come along and serve as your advocate.
- Prepare and provide copies of legal documents called “advance directives” or “health care directives” to your hospital, doctor, family and advocate.
- Make sure your hospital has your up-to-date and accurate medical records.
- Adhere to request by the hospital regarding pre-admission tests and paperwork, such as health-insurance information.
- Make sure you know what is covered and what is not covered by your insurance carrier.
- Request a paper copy of your patient rights if not provided by the hospital.
- Do not bring valuables or expensive jewelry. Pack only essentials.
- Ensure that your medical chart reflects your regularly taken medications and any drug allergies.
- Inquire about new medications; specifically, what you will be taking and why.
- Limit body contact with visitors to combat the spread of germs.
- Ask for instructions regarding post-hospitalization care before being discharged.
At Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano, P.A., we understand the stress and confusion a hospital visits may induce. We hope that his list will prepare you for any hospital visits you may have and if you have more questions, feel free to call us at (352) 376-6046.
In 1980, Jack J. Fine founded the law firm now known as Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano, P.A. With more than 100 years of combined legal experience, they are a well-respected personal injury law firm providing individualized service to people and families across Gainesville who have been harmed due to the negligence of others.