What to do when you need to purchase auto insurance
Figuring out the fundamentals of auto insurance, determining you and your family’s needs, and exploring your options are all key steps in purchasing a suitable auto insurance policy. This checklist will help you through the process whether this is your first time buying auto insurance or if you are renewing your current policy.
- When you purchase a car, search for one that has few safety issue and considered to be in good condition by insurance companies.
- Research minimum insurance requirements under your state’s law.
- Figure out if any coverage from your other insurance policies overlaps with your potential new auto insurance policy.
- Shop around with various insurance companies once you have found what you would like to buy.
- Do some research with your state Department of Insurance to evaluate customer complaints.
- Request and look for special discounts regarding safe driving, driver safety classes or safety devices in your vehicle.
- Consider the levels of liability, collision, comprehensive, medical coverage, and uninsured motorist coverage that are desirable and also affordable for you and your family.
- Consider the pros and cons of “stacked” and “unstacked” uninsured motorist coverage so you can figure out which would provide you the broadest coverage.
- Decide whether a high deductible with low premiums or a low deductible with high premiums plan is preferable.
- If your car is of low value, think about excluding collision and/or comprehensive insurance coverage.
- If you would like to protect assets outside of your primary auto insurance plan, decide whether an “umbrella” policy is right for you.
At Fine, Farkash & Parlapiano, P.A., we understand that finding the right auto insurance policy may not be an easy task. We hope that this list will guide you through this often confusing process and we hope that you find the right policy to match your needs.